11 January, 2012

My Turn

There have been lots of “2012 New Year’s Resolution” posts floating around the blogosphere, so I figured I should probably write one. Writing these things down and posting them for the world to see means you all will hold me accountable, right? Please?

Anyway, here are my aspirations for 2012:

Be the best wife, mother, daughter, sister, granddaughter, niece and friend I can be.
Of course, this is my goal every day, but I have some specific ways in which I want to try to accomplish this:

1) Send more cards - birthday, anniversary, congrats, thank you and “just because” cards. I used to be better about sending fun cards and letters...I’d like to get back to doing so.

2) Call more often. I have fallen into the habit of just sending a text when I want to say something, but I need to call family and friends more often just to talk.

3) Be better about separating the URGENT from the IMPORTANT. I went to a moms’ conference last spring and one of the speakers shared about this. The urgent things are those that demand our immediate attention, and cause us to miss out on the important. The important things are those that sit quietly, waiting for us to notice. For example, the phone ringing is urgent. But reading my child a story? That is IMPORTANT. So, let the phone go to voice mail. The laundry piling up is urgent. Having a heart-to-heart conversation with my husband over dinner? That is IMPORTANT. The laundry can wait.

Join a moms’ Bible study (MOPS or other).
This one is tough. Our church and community are small, and we don’t have a Bible study where daycare is provided. Now that Luke is two months old, I am ready to have a weekly or even bi-weekly get-together with other moms to share our faith without the distractions of little ones. Fellow mommas - if you know of any such thing in the area, please send me info!

Have devotions every morning.
I don’t know when it happened, but I have fallen out of the habit of doing daily devotions, and I need to correct this. I signed up for a daily e-mail devotional for moms, and I plan to read it every morning over coffee! After all, how can I expect to properly teach my children to love and live for God if I am not being spiritually fed myself?

Exercise 5-6 days a week.
Before I got pregnant with Luke, Jillian was whipping my butt into shape every morning, with one day off each week. I felt great, and my goal is to get back into the habit. It’s only 20 minutes a day. Granted, they are 20 KILLER minutes, but well worth it! Jillian has nearly killed me these past couple days, but I know it will get easier as I persist.

Eat healthier and make healthier meals for my family.
I try to offer fruits and veggies with every meal, but I need to be more intentional about it. Also, I need to force myself to eat healthier. I often don’t get the chance to (or don’t remember to) eat until both boys are down for their afternoon naps, and by then I would rather just grab something quick and easy than sit down and eat a good meal - this is bad, bad, BAD! When I don’t get proper nutrition, I am cranky and don’t feel well. And, we all know, if Momma’s not happy, nobody is, haha!

Lose remaining 20 lbs.
According to the scale at the doctor’s office last week, I still have 20 lbs. of baby weight to lose. That means I have already lost 30 since having Luke. I am pleased with this, because I haven’t eaten well (chalk it up to those delicious holiday goodies and lack of motivation!), or exercised. But, I know I will have to work much harder to lose those last pesky 20 lbs. Hopefully, the above goals will help with this!

Just enjoy my husband and children, even if that means letting some things go around the house sometimes.
This is probably a subset of goal #1, but I feel it deserves to stand on its own. It has taken some time, but I am learning that it is much more fruitful for me to drop what I am doing and read a book to Joshua or cuddle my baby than to get that next load of laundry in or sweep the kitchen floor. Those things will get done, somehow. But, I only have such a short time with my family, and I want to make every moment count!

So, there you have it. Everything I hope to accomplish in 2012. Well, the big things, anyway.

And, because I know no one likes a post without pictures, I'll finish this one with a couple cute pics of my boys:



Happy baby! Seriously cannot get enough of those smiles!



This kid is just too sweet! We have definitely had our bouts of the "Terrible Twos", but he so often melts my heart that I forget those more difficult moments. This morning he came up, kissed me on the cheek and said, "Love you." I mean, how could you not turn to total mush over that?!?!

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

1 comment:

  1. Ah...a fifty pound weight gain...I'll be right there with you. Why do we just pack it on? It's not fair.

    ReplyDelete